The Houston Fire Department (HFD) took delivery of eight new ambulances in October and are in the process of being placed into service.
Five of the ambulances are redesigned 2020 Chevy C3500 chassis with a 12 foot module. These ambulances are custom Frazer-Bilt Type 1 models.
The all-aluminum construction provides an exceptionally safe and strong environment for HFD firefighters.
Other safety enhancements include, a UV-C air disinfection system built into the HVAC system. The in-duct air purifier works to reduce the presence of odors while providing passengers with fresher, cleaner, and healthier air on-board, helping in the fight against COVID-19.
Some of the advanced safety features are:
• Built to industry compliance standards CAAS GVS v2.0
• Back up camera built into the dash
• Backing sensors with audible driver alerts
• Liquid spring rear suspension
• Low-profile console in cab for lowered MDT mount
• Crash compliant Stryker cot retention system
• Crash compliant cabinet doors with restocking feature
• Multi-point harnesses at all seating positions
• Grab handles coated with anti-microbial coating
• Vertical stair chair storage